Monday 29 April 2019
For Immediate Release
Second pill testing pilot in Canberra an overwhelming success
Pill Testing Australia has successfully implemented a 2nd Pill Testing Pilot at the Groovin the Moo Festival in Canberra
Preliminary key facts:
- The pill testing medical service tested substances for 234 participants, some arrived individually and some as groups, with a total of 171 samples being tested;
- MDMA was the prominent substance identified and to a lesser extent cocaine, ketamine and methamphetamines;
- 7 dangerous substances containing n-ethylpentylone were also identified, with patrons being alerted to the dangers of the substance. After learning about the potential harms from the substances they possessed they all used the amnesty bin to discard these drugs;
- Health warnings and safety information were provided to all patrons presenting at the pill testing service;
- The trial had the full support of Groovin the Moo promoters, the ACT Government, including Police & Health services, as a critical harm reduction measure;
- Feedback from patrons was overwhelmingly positive, with many participants saying that they would reconsider or take less of the substances they had in their possession;
Pill Testing Australia has today (28th April 2019) helped reduce drug related harm by giving young people access to pill testing services at a music festival. The 2nd pill testing pilot was again overwhelmingly successful by any measure but particularly by doing everything possible to keep patrons safe.
One key outcome of the pill testing service was its ability to work closely with ACT Medical Services at the festival.
Pill Testing Australia recognises that without the incredible work done by Steph Tzanetis, David Caldicott, Mal McLeod and their respective brief intervention, medical and chemist teams – the pill testing service offered would not have been possible.
Our thanks also go to the incredible wisdom shown by the Groovin the Moo promoters and the ACT Government (including ACT Police and ACT Health) in supporting Pill Testing Australia volunteers to provide more information to patrons to reduce harm from drugs.
Please Pill Testing Australia’s crowdfunding campaign at www.pilltestingaustralia.com.au for pill testing pilots to take place across Australia.
— ends —